I’ve been thinking a lot about my mom, Sharon Lee Simpson, this week because it’s getting nearer to the anniversary of her death. It’s still hard for me to believe that she’s been gone for seven years now.
I didn’t intend to write about either of my parents when I started this blog, but I’m reconsidering that stance after thinking about how much I wish I could still talk to my mom and ask her questions about her childhood and mine, her parents and grandparents.
In this post, I don’t intend to write her story but will just detail highlights from her life:
- She was born Aug. 29, 1954, in St. Louis to Betty Sue Coats and Harold Leroy Simpson.
- She and her sister, Linda, lived with her grandparents in Scott City, Mo., after her parents separated.
- She graduated in 1972 from Illmo-Scott City High School.
- She married Mike Johnston in September 1972.
- She raised two children, Laura, born in 1973, and Aaron, born in 1976.
- She died March 13, 2007.